Job type: Full time (37.5 hours)
Location: Borough, SE1
Salary: Competitive salary (depending on experience)
Reporting to: Editor of City Transport & Traffic Innovation (CiTTi) Magazine
About the job
Are you an experienced editorial assistant or reporter looking to assume more responsibility and take the next step in your career? Do you want access to training, support, and exposure to a variety of tasks? If so, this could be the role for you!
Akabo Media is a growing and ambitious business-to-business (B2B) publishing and events company. Operating across the logistics, supply chain, transport, and robotics industries, we produce a range of leading magazines, exhibitions, conferences, and awards, both in the UK and overseas.
This is an exciting time to join Akabo Media as we have an ambitious expansion plan in place and content is at the heart of that plan.
We are looking to take on a bright, hard-working Assistant Editor to support and report directly to the Editor of City Transport & Traffic Innovation (CiTTi) Magazine, which reports on the latest policies and technologies furthering the advancement of sustainable mobility in urban environments.
To be successful as an Assistant Editor, you should be able to handle all stages of the editorial process to deliver original and informative content. Ultimately, an Assistant Editor should be precise, well-written and an excellent communicator/researcher.
- Feature writing – researching and writing editorial features, interviewing industry leaders and business professionals, identifying trends, and sourcing accompanying images etc
- News gathering – finding and writing daily news for both print and online audiences, image sourcing, fact checking and comment sourcing
- Websites – updating, managing and maintaining the CiTTi editorial website daily with fresh content
- Newsletters – creating and populating editorial newsletters of varying frequencies
- Magazine production – sub-editing, cutting-to-fit, proofreading and assisting the Editor in signing-off and uploading editorial pages for print
- Webinars – researching and identifying new and interesting topics, finding and recommending participants, and hosting and moderating sessions
- Conferences – working directly with the Editor and Conference Producer to develop topics and agendas, identify and recommend speakers, and host and moderate conference sessions
- Events – attending and reporting on exhibitions, conferences and award ceremonies organised by Akabo Media, as well as external industry events and press launches
- Social media – maintaining each brand’s social media presence via standard channels (e.g. Twitter, LinkedIn etc.), to improve engagement with and awareness of our content.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Professional industry experience in journalism/publishing or similar field
- BSc degree in journalism, communications or related field
- Impeccable writing skills and grammar, spelling and punctuation abilities
- Excellent research and communication skills – able to take complex and technical subject matters and convey them clearly and concisely to senior business professionals
- Highly organised and versatile – must be confident and comfortable working to tight and multiple deadlines while maintaining high standards and attention to detail
- Strong understanding of news reporting and feature writing, story structure and what makes something newsworthy
- Working knowledge of MS Office, Adobe InDesign and Content Management Systems (e.g. WordPress)
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Experience of flat planning and editing and correcting other people’s work
- Willingness to host/moderate in-person and virtual events (e.g. conferences, webinars etc.)
- Proficient with social media and SEO
- Knowledge of the urban transport/mobility sector
What we offer
- 24.5 days holiday (20 days plus birthday day off, plus 3.5 days Christmas), increasing to 29.5 days after one year’s service.
- Free Private Medical Insurance & gym membership discounts.
- Group Pension scheme.
- Free Employee Assistance Programme.
- Social & Company events.
- Modern office near London Bridge.
- Work from home: 1 day per week.
- Opportunity to travel within the UK & internationally (Miami, Brussels, Asia etc).
- Season Ticket Loan.
- Dress down Fridays.
- Training & development opportunities with money contributed towards personal development of your choice.
the recruitment process
- 1st round will be an informal chat with our HR Manager to go over your experience, aspirations and a chance discuss the role further.
- 2nd & final round – 1 hour in person interview with our Managing Director & the Editor of CiTTi.
To apply for this key position within Akabo Media, please send a covering letter and your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.