Are you an experienced editorial assistant or reporter looking to assume more responsibility and take the next step in your career? Do you want access to training, support and exposure to a variety of tasks? If so, this could be the role for you!
Akabo Media is a growing and ambitious business-to-business (B2B) publishing and events company. Operating across the logistics, supply chain, transport and robotics industries, we produce a range of leading magazines, websites, exhibitions, conferences and awards both in the UK and overseas.
This is a really exciting time to join usas we have an ambitious expansion plan in place and content is at the heart of that plan.
We are looking to take on a bright, hard-working Assistant Editor to support and report directly to the Editor responsible for the transport and technology side of the business, primarily City Transport & Traffic Innovation and Robotics & Innovation magazines, and the Road User Charging Conference.
Role and Responsibilities
To be successful as an Assistant Editor, you should be able to handle all stages of the editorial process to deliver original and informative content. Ultimately, an Assistant Editor should be precise, well-written and an excellent communicator/researcher.
- Feature writing – researching and writing editorial features, interviewing industry leaders and business professionals, identifying trends, and sourcing accompanying images etc.
- News gathering – finding and writing daily news for both print and online audiences, image sourcing, fact checking and comment sourcing.
- Websites – updating, managing and maintaining two editorial websites daily with fresh content.
- Newsletters – creating and populating editorial newsletters of varying frequencies.
- Magazine production – sub-editing, cutting-to-fit, proofreading and assisting the Editor in signing-off and uploading editorial pages for print.
- Webinars – researching and identifying new and interesting topics, finding and recommending participants, and hosting and moderating sessions.
- Conferences – working directly with the Editor and Conference Producer to develop topics and agendas, identify and recommend speakers, and host and moderate conference sessions.
- Events – attending and reporting on exhibitions, conferences and award ceremonies organised by Akabo Media, as well as external industry events and press launches.
- Social media – maintaining each brand’s social media presence via standard channels (e.g. Twitter, LinkedIn etc.), to draw attention to editorial content
Essential Skills and Experience
- 2+ years of professional industry experience in journalism/publishing or similar field
- BSc degree in journalism, communications or related field
- Impeccable writing skills and grammar, spelling and punctuation abilities
- Excellent research and communication skills – able to take complex and technical subject matters and convey them clearly and concisely to senior business professionals
- Highly organised and versatile – must be confident and comfortable working to tight and multiple deadlines while maintaining high standards and attention to detail
- Strong understanding of news/feature reporting, story structure and what makes something newsworthy
- Working knowledge of MS Office, Adobe InDesign and Content Management Systems
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Experience of flat planning and editing other people’s work
- Willingness to host/moderate in-person and virtual events (e.g. conferences, webinars etc.)
- Proficient with social media and SEO
- Knowledge of urban transport and robotics sectors
To apply for this key position within Akabo Media, please send a covering letter and your CV to email@example.com.